January 28, 2004

Clint Eastwood interview in USA Weekend
(via Tom Palmer)


Do filmmakers have a responsibility when it comes to violence? Doesn't endless, gratuitous blood and guts contribute to actual violence?
I grew up watching Bogart and Cagney. Did their violence make me want to shoot somebody? No. To the healthy mind, it doesn't do anything. Those Columbine guys? They were sickos to begin with. You could make a case, anyway, that children get introduced to violence when they read the Old Testament. There's some heavy mayhem in there! [Laughs.] You get all the dismemberment and everything else. Then you go and see the tragic plays, with Shakespeare and the depiction of violence and incest and all kinds of things.

(...)

So, socially, you're live-and-let-live. How about politically?
I suppose. I don't see myself as conservative, but I'm not ultra-leftist. You build a philosophy of your own. I like the libertarian view, which is to leave everyone alone. Even as a kid, I was annoyed by people who wanted to tell everyone how to live.